Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Let Me Write!!


Thinking about writing in an English class is an unbalanced emotion. When I am given a certain topic that is not of my interest it tends to be hard to write about versus a topic given that I can relate to is easy to put together.  In high school, I was in AP English, so most writings were based on a book. I often struggled through this class, because the books were written by brilliant authors like William Shakespeare. I rarely understood his thought process; therefore I was limited in my writings and shorthanded my essays. I would spend hours trying to correct one sentence to make sure it fits what I believe Shakespeare could have been talking about.

As Americans we are given the freedom of expression. In classes, we aren’t always given that option. Giving a student a topic that does not give them options hinders their ability, just as it was done to me. I felt as if I was the only person struggling or the weak link of the group. I was challenged to the point that I could not think. I began to stress over this class, which affected my other grades in my stronger subjects. All my attention was drawn to this one subject, because failure is not an option. If English classes weren’t so limited to topics to write about, I would have a better outlook on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment